I have about twenty OneNote notebooks that I use in desktop OneNote and 3 had stopped syncing (probably due to me manually killing the sync service – but that is a different story).
To fix this
- Close the problem notebook
- The system will warn you that parts of the book that will not sync will be moved to a new notebook called Misplaced Sections which will appear at the bottom of your list of notebooks – accept this solution if prompted.
- Close OneNote
- Wait a minute for OneDrive Sync to get up and running again
- Open OneNote
- Login to OneDrive on the web and browse to your OneNote book and open it in Desktop OneNote
- Allow syncing to complete
- You now have a working syncing copy of the OneNote book
- Open “Missing Sections” and Move, Copy or Merge the content back into the original document (Merge is to be preferred).
- Having Merged, OneNote may indicate page conflicts. Manually fix these by editing, copying and pasting and then delete the conflicting pages.
- Allow syncing to complete and then close OneNote.
- The goal is complete.